Feb 23, 2012

Review: Scuttlebutt Porter

Scuttlebutt Brewing Co.

Grade: D-

Appearance: Pours the classic porter black with a tan head that dissipates to solid, sticky lacing.

Smell: Sweet, roasted malts with chocolate and a bit of coffee.  There is some tartness, toffee and slight biscuit flavors.

Taste: Strong coffee and sour tartness with dark fruit.  Fairly astringent and possibly infected.  There is a light flavor of malt and dark chocolate.  It finishes dry, tangy and roasty.  Not much else is going on.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery for a porter with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: The light body makes this porter easy to down, but the astringency prevents me from having another.

Overall: Not a very good porter.  Thin, watery and strong sour tartness makes for a below par porter.  This is my first beer from Scuttlebutt and I don't know if it is infected or plain bad.  I will give the brewery the benefit of the doubt and vote infected.  I will revisit this one if I happen to come across it again and see if I get the same results.

No comments:

Post a Comment