May 18, 2011

Review: Nostradamus

Brasserie Caracole Brewery

Grade: B

Appearance: Pours a murky dark brown color with a 1/2 finger head that has staying power and strong lacing (man, I love these New Belgium beer glasses!).

Smell: Ahhh. Complex with dark dried fruits, belgian yeast and mild phenols.

Taste: Sweet and sour tart from the dried fruits hit first, then transitions to a honeydew flavor. The Belgian yeast is quiet pungent and helps mask the alcohol. Brown sugar is evident as it finishes with a sour, slightly hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation. Leaves my mouth extremely sticky.

Drinkability: Low. It is a great sipping beer. It has a good taste and body, but the extreme sourness from the dried fruit and yeast makes it hard for me to enjoy in a session. The low carbonation gives it a body too thick for me to drink more than one. Although, I must say that at 9% ABV, the alcohol is extremely will hidden.

Overall: An above average Belgian brown ale, but not one of my favorites. While the dark flavors are great, the sourness and thickness drag it down and make it too hard to enjoy. I will not be seeking it out again.

Serving type: Bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment